In 2022, the WFTDA will host “Back on Track,” a global celebration of roller derby that will take place over a two-month period in September and October 2022, with capstone broadcast events to kickoff and closeout our celebration. This series of events will highlight our members' ability to come back to derby in a way that is flexible, accessible, and as safe as possible for any able and interested league, given the current local and global constraints of public health and travel during a worldwide pandemic. We aim to celebrate the re-emergence of the sport, showcasing all levels of play across the globe.
We're currently seeking hosts for events during this time period to be included in our celebration. Events of all sizes, locations, and levels of play are encouraged to apply. WFTDA will provide the following support to “Back on Track” event hosts:
- Management of team applications and placement of teams into tournaments. Host leagues may apply to handle team invitations themselves.
- Consideration for broadcast streaming (as determined by WFTDA Broadcast).
- Access to an invitation-only working group on the WFTDA online community to coordinate and share knowledge with WFTDA leadership and other event hosts.
- Access to the WFTDA Tournament Best Practices and Roles Online Training.
- Access to COVID-19 risk mitigation templates.
- Use of the “Back on Track” logo on promotional materials; merch opportunities.
- Recognition and designation as a participating tournament on WFTDA web sites.
- WFTDA social media mentions on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Any league (including leagues that are not WFTDA members) may apply to host, as long as they agree to the requirements of the program and the WFTDA Organizational Code of Conduct. As WFTDA Sanctioning and rankings will remain closed in 2022, hosts may opt to play different formats of games and event structures, including open-gender games, to best support the recovery of their league, event and region of the world.
The WFTDA Competitive Play Task Force will accept host applications via a Google form with approvals on a rolling basis and public announcements of participating events made monthly. Visit https://community.wftda.org/events/host for a full list of hosting requirements and application information.
Interest forms for teams and individual volunteers are now available, with individual event applications opening when the events are announced. Register now to receive updates on selected events in your chosen region(s). There is no commitment to attend an event by submitting an interest form. All contracts and fees will be managed by the host leagues and provided to teams at the time of the application.
Contact email@example.com with questions, and check out the Returning to Roller Derby discussion group on the WFTDA Online Community.