Hand Signal for Jam Ending due to Injury

I’ve been discussing with skating and non-skating officials how to communicate jams that end by injury quickly and clearly to all. Locally, we have adopted the use of the baby sign language sign for “hurt” (thanks LLoud LLama for the suggestion). Standardizing a hand signal would help provide clarity and context to the audience and other officials, especially those tracking injuries or jam call-offs.

6 Likes

I picked up this hand signal at a Big O many years ago, and have been using it at events around Australia since.

2 Likes

I love the idea of adopting a signal to add clarity surrounding the reason for jam call off, however I would like to raise that this particular sign has some connotations to younger (GenZ/Genα) circles that could compromise the perception of officials professionalism

2 Likes

What problem would such a hand signal solve? Do we have many cases of injury call-offs where people wonder why the jam was called off, and where such a signal would make them not wonder? Keeping in mind that every new standard makes officiating a bit less accessible.

Yes, sometimes there is confusion regarding why a jam is called off. A hand signal that can be understood from across the room. As a person who has completed StatsBooks, there have been errors in paperwork as evidence that a standard hand signal for Injury call off would be helpful.

Nonverbal cues can actually increase accessibility for the audience and participants that are hard of hearing.

5 Likes

a hand signal for injury call offs would improve communication between JR and SK, with other NSOs who need the information (SBO, PLTs).
This was something I looked at a few years ago as league HNSO, as well as OR lost/retained hand signals for the SBO, I got as far as research :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes